Meeting Nicola Bryant

I was about to give up hope, when someone came through for me. Off to Chicago we went. I was filled with excitement and anticipation for the whole 6 hour drive and subsequent evening. So much so that I could hardly sleep. Despite all this, I was ready to go Saturday morning.
As I stood in Nicola's autograph line I could feel my heart racing in my chest. I wondered if she'd recognize me straight away, or if, in fact, she would recognize me at all. Perhaps Nicola didn't even run her own Twitter, maybe it was an assistant or something. As rational as I tried to be, I couldn't deny that I would be extremely disappointed if it hadn't all been real.
After what felt like forever (she was quite chatty, which is something you want at a convention) it was finally my turn. "Hi!" I gushed.
"Hello!" she replied with a warm smile. "How are you?"
"Pretty well, thanks. How are you?"
"Great!"
I leaned in closely and said, "Nicola, I made it"
She shot up ramrod straight and her eyes lit up with excitement. Her left hand shot out and snatched my right hand, clasping it tightly.
She turned to her assistant, teary eyed and said, "This is Gabriel! We've been Tweeting. He wasn't sure if he'd make it and was nervous about coming alone. I told him that sometimes we have step outside our comfort zones and that when we do we often feel empowered." She sighed contentedly. "I'm so proud of you." With her other hand she reached up and swiped at your teary eyes. "I'm crying!" she joked.
Seeing how genuinely happy Nicola was that and I'd made it and discovering that our whole Twitter interactions had been real....I felt tears welling up myself. "Don't do that," I teased. "You'll make me cry."
"That's so wonderful!" Nicola continued as she autographed my photo for me.
She engaged my friend and I in conversation as she autographed his photo, and then we had to move on. I knew I'd see her again soon for the photo op.
During my 3 Doctor photograph (Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Slyvester McCoy) I noticed Nicola standing off to the side. She was waiting to speak to Colin. It struck me as so cool that she was the kind of actress that felt totally comfortable amongst her fans. No diva routine for Ms. Bryant.
Soon after was my photo with Peter Davison and Nicola. She immediately put her arm around me. I slid my arm around her. As soon as the photo was taken, I turned to her. I wasn't sure what to say. Chances were that I wouldn't see her again -- unless I happened to bump into her in the halls -- and I didn't want to make it weird by getting all emotional. I believe that Nicola could sense my turmoil, because she just enveloped me in a hug. I'm not normally a hugger, but it was the perfect hug.
"It was great to see you," she told me.
"You, too," I replied. We smiled at each other and I told her that I'd Tweet her later.
"Okay."
With one last grinning glance I walked away toward my new, changed life.
​I am not good with change. Truth be told, I'm a nervous wreck. It takes a special person to facilitate change in me. It takes an even more special person to develop such a deep bond with me.
If you ever get the chance to interact with Ms. Bryant, DO IT! If you're even more fortunate and get to meet her at a convention consider yourself blessed. She is so warm and geniune. Nicola, you are the best. I love you. X

Comments

Popular Posts