Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again Trailer Released

On December 20th, the first trailer for Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again was released. I anxiously opened the link.

We see Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) on the pier, meeting Rosie (Julie Walters) and Tanya (Christine Baranski.) She announces that she is pregnant, but that she doesn't know how to do it by herself. Okay, so Sophie and Skye (Dominic Cooper) aren't together anymore, but before they split, she got pregnant, and now, she's afraid to tell Donna (Meryl Streep,) so she confides in her "aunts." Sounds good. Wrong! Way wrong.

"Your mother was the bravest person we ever met," Rosie soothes over clips of Donna from the previous movie.
Wait! What!? Donna??? NO.! They....they KILLED Donna off???
"Let me tell you how she did it, all on her own," Tanya continues.
We then flashback to Young Donna (Lily James). "Life is short. The world is wide. I want to make some memories!" she declares. We see clips of her with Young Tonya (Jessica Keenan Wynn), Young Rosie (Alexa Davies), Young Sam (Jeremy Irvine), Young Bill (Josh Dylan), and Young Harry (Hugh Skinner) to a new version of "Dancing Queen" with Seyfried on lead vocals instead of Streep, before hearing a stripped down (apparently live) version of "Mamma Mia."
We see flashes of the present day, with Sophie dancing around the island and taking Donna's place in The Dynamos. "I have never felt closer to my mom" Sophie says to Skye. "She wasn't scared, because she had me!"
We get a glimpse of Sophie interacting with her dads as she tells them that they can't tell anyone else about the baby.
"I told Bill " Sam (Pierce Brosnan) says. Bill (Stellan Skarsård) replies that he told Harry. Harry (Colin Firth) confessed that he has told "many, many people."
​The last treat we get is a scene showing a helicopter landing on the island, a blonde Cher getting out and walking up to the villa.
"Let's get this party started," Cher says.
"Grandma? You weren't invited!" Sophie replies with an impressed grin.
"That's the best kind of party, little girl," Cher retorts.
​I am so excited for this movie! I think it's definitely going to pack more of an emotional punch than its predecessor, especially if Donna is, indeed, dead. I have to admit that I was quite surprised that Meryl Streep was even attached to the project, as she has never done a sequel to any of her movies. She obviously did film some scenes for this, as a few of her clips were not from the first one. But if Donna isn't dead, then where is she???
In the trailer we hear Seyfried's rendition of "I Have a Dream" as well as the new "Dancing Queen" and the Lily James version of "Mamma Mia." I'm hoping that these are the only songs to be recycled from the first film; I did some research online and found that the only confirmed songs so far are "Angeleyes," "I Wonder (Departure,)" and "When I Kissed the Teacher."
As much as I adore Cher, I am a little off-put by her character's appearance in the film. I assumed that she would feature exclusively in the flashback sequences, but the trailer shows her interacting with Sophie in the present. In the first movie, it is revealed that when Donna found out that she was pregnant, her mother kicked her out. It is also implied that the mother is dead, when, after Sam, Bill, and Harry crash Sophie's hen party during the Dynamos' performance of "Super Trooper," Donna laments that "someone Up There has got it in for me...probably my mother." Now, maybe Donna and her mother hadn't spoken since the pregnancy reveal, and Donna naturally assumed that after 20 years her mother had passed away...it is plausible. I just hate plot holes.
All in all, I am anxiously awaiting the release of this movie. Based on the trailer, it will be great!

Comments

Popular Posts