Katy Manning Is Amazing!


Katy Manning was born Catherine Ann Manning on October 14, 1946 in Guildford, Surrey in England. When she was 6 yeard old, she was diagnosed with myopia, or nearsightedness. "I was born with severe myopia and little periphery sight, which was not discovered until I was six years old. My oddness as a child gave me a love of voices and at an early age I found I was able to do some funny voices – including Popeye!" Manning recalled in an interview with Daily Express UK. The myopia would later lead to several small injuries on the set of "Doctor Who" and Manning once accidentally trying to take the wrong kids home from school.
At age 16, she spent a year in the hospital after being involved in a car accident, this accident crushed her hopes of being a professional dancer as she underwent extensive reconstructive surgery and had pins in both legs.
At 18, she relocated to the United States, where she was offered a five year contract at MGM as an actress. During this time, Manning stayed with her sister in New York. Her parents encouraged the ingenue to return home to England and attend Drama School, which she did.
Back home in England, Katy studied at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art, before joining a repertory group in Wolverhampton. The actress's first television appearance was as the young lead on the series, "Man At The Top" in 1970. Her first role for the BBC was a guest spot on "Softly, Softly: Taskforce" in the episode "Standing Orders."
Manning's big break came in 1971, when she accepted the role of Josephine "Jo" Grant on "Doctor Who" From 1971 til 1973 she helped protect Earth alongside Jon Pertwee's incarnation of the Doctor. She was joined by Nicholas Courtney, John Levene, and Richard Franklin as The Brigadier, Sargeant Benton, and Captain Mike Yates. Manning had this to say about her time on the show, “I adored working with Jon on Doctor Who and the chemistry between us worked from day one. It was a truly happy family affair with the whole team. Jo was a terrific character to play – a determined, gutsy, funny, clumsy little girl who was passionate about the Doctor to the point of offering her life for his. As audiences grew, I was thrown into a life of constant recognition and press attention – something we weren’t prepared for in those days. I left when the time was right because I thought it was good for the Doctor’s companion to change."
After her departure from "Doctor Who," Katy presented the BBC craft show, "Serendipity" for 10 episodes. After appearing topless as a junkie in the crime drama "Target" which garnered much controvery, the actress wrote the series, "Private Wives" amongst other writing and directing pursuits. In 1980, she returned to the stage in a touring production of Peter Terson's "VE Night" Throughout the years, she has appeared in shows such as "Run For Your Wife" from 1987 - 1988.
Manning moved to Australia in the early 80s after her twins with partner Dean Harris (whom Katy dated from 1976 - 1981) -- Jonathan and Georgina -- were born prematurely in 1979. Their health issues caused her to move to Australia, where she met her current partner Barry Crocker. Regarding her relationship with Crocker, the actress said, "We've been together 26 years although we don't live together now. When you get older, you get to a point in your relationship that way outweighs all that needy shit. I'm not a needy woman. I don't rely on other people for anything much. Relationships that last are ones where you accept the changes in each other, and can laugh. Life doesn't get easier but it does get funnier."
In 2009, the tour de force returned to England to perform her one-woman show about Bette Davis, "Me and Jezebel." For her roles in show, she was lauded as "one of Britain's best actresses" by The Edinburgh Evening News.
In 2010, she reprised her role as Jo, now Jo Jones for two episodes of "The Sarah Jane Adventures," as well as in several Big Finish audio dramas throughout the years. She credits Jon Pertwee and Barry Crocker for encouraging her to do voicework.
In 2011, she recorded "Not a Well Woman" a thinly veiled account of her life. “I wrote Not A Well Woman when I lived in America in the 90s. I’ve recorded it for audio and plan to stage it early next year. I’m grateful that I’ve been able to follow my passions of acting, writing and directing for 50 years – and to bring up my children on the proceeds of doing what I love," Katy said in 2017.
Showing no signs of letting up, Manning is a popular guest amongst the convention circuits. 
“I love doing the Doctor Who conventions around the world and it’s such a joy to meet the fans," she gushed.

I was blessed to get to meet Katy in November 2015 at Chicago Tardis and was blown away. She was so warm and affectionate. I recall her hugging me and holding my hands each time I saw her. When I was in line to get her autograph she spotted my cartoon Jo Grant shirt and hopped on the table to sign it! She truly is an incredible human being who treats her fans like friends and family. I am honored to know her.
Since meeting Katy in 2015, she and I have stayed in touch via her Twitter (@ManningOfficial). She has Tweeted me back almost a dozen times by now.
Katy, if you read this, I absolutely adore you, darling! Thank you for being so genuine and warm. You'll always be my favorite. X



Comments

Popular Posts