My Top 10 Albums

Like anyone else, I am very fond of music.  It's a form of therapy: whether I need a song to comfort me when I have a broken heart or lost a loved one, need empowerment, am deep in the feels and want to exalt in love, music is there for me. I decided to challenge myself to pick my top 10 albums of all time. It wasn't an easy task, but after careful consideration, I was able to choose 10 albums that have heavily impacted my life so far.

10. Spiceworld -- the Spice Girls (1997)
Spiceworld was the girl group's sophomore album, and the final album to feature all 5 of the original members, as Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice) left the group before their third and final album was released.
Packed with more catchy lyrics penned by the group, this album was non-stop fun. I never skip a song when listening to it, and it never lags.

Highlights:

  • Spice Up Your Life
  • Stop
  • Too Much
  • Saturday Night Divas
  • Never Give Up On The Good Times
  • Do It
  • Viva Forever

9. Take Me Home -- One Direction (2012)
The guy British boy band's second album featured more of a pop-rock aesthetic, and the album benefited from it. As the lads grew up, so did their music. They also got to write a few songs for the album.

Highlights:

  • Live While We're Young
  • Kiss You Little Things 
  • Summer Love

8. Demi -- Demi Lovato (2013)

The songstress's fourth album was released post-rehab. In my opinion this album showcases her best vocals and songwriting skills. This album has a song for every emotion.

Highlights:

  • Heart Attack
  • Made in the U.S.A.
  • Without the Love
  • Neon Lights
  • Nightingale
  • In Case
  • Really Don't Care
  • Something That We're Not
  • Never Been Hurt
  • Shouldn't Come Back
  • Warrior
  • I Hate You, Don't Leave Me (Target bonus edition exclusive.)

7. Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection-- Katy Perry (2012)
The pop princess's follow-up to her debut album One of the Boys was comprised of current pop music, rather than pop-rock. Perry penned all of the tracks herself, showcasing her knack for catchy pop anthems. The original release was the first album by a female artist to accrue five #1 singles -- Teenage Dream, California Gurls, Firework, Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.), and E.T. -- and the second overall after Bad by Michael Jackson. The 2012 reissue featured three new tracks as well as an acoustic version of "The One That Got Away" and some remixes.

Highlights:

  • Teenage Dream
  • Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)
  • California Gurls
  • Firework
  • Peacock
  • Circle the Drain
  • E.T.
  • Pearl
  • Hummingbird Heartbeat
  • Not Like the Movies
  • Part of Me
  • Wide Awake
  • The One That Got Away (Acoustic)

#6 True Blue -- Madonna (1986)
Madonna is one of all-time favroite singers. I own all thirteen of her albums, and I love them all in their own way, however, True Blue, her third album broke her out of her "Minnie Mouse on Helium" persona and showed the world that she was a force to be reckoned with.

Highlights:
  • Papa Don't Preach
  • Open Your Heart
  • Live to Tell
  • True Blue
  • La Isla Bonita

#5 25 -- Adele (2015)
I've never been a massive fan of Adele. Sure she had a great voice and she writes her own songs, but her music is a little too...slow...for me. However, I stumbled across this album during a heartbreak and the songs on this album perfectly conveyed my pain.

Highlights:
  • Hello
  • When We Were Young
  • All I Ask
#4 ÷ (Deluxe) -- Ed Sheeran (2017)
Ed Sheeran's third album packed a wallop. I own the other two albums, but did not enjoy them as much as I did this one. There aren't any songs on this album that I don't like.

Highlights:

  • Castle on the Hill
  • Dive
  • Perfect
  • Galway Girl
  • Hearts Don't Break Around Here
  • Supermarket Flowers
  • Barcelona

 #3 This Is Acting (Deluxe) -- Sia (2016)
Like most of the world, I had no idea who Sia was until her song "Chandelier" was released in  2014. I started listening to this album during a heartbreak, I'd listen to this album and cry. Comprised of rejected songs, in my opinion, this is Sia's finest work.

Highlights:

  • Alive
  • One Million Bullets
  • Unstoppable
  • Cheap Thrills
  • Footprints
  • Midnight Decisions
  • Jesus Wept

#2 Jagged Little Pill -- Alanis Morissette (1995)
I'd been aware of Alanis Morissette for years, but had always reckoned that her music wasn't my thing. One day during my aforementioned heartbreak, I happened to listen to her debut album and the rest is history. Alanis perfectly conveyed my pain and anger in a way that no one else had before.

Highlights:
  • You Oughta Know.
  • Hand In My Pocket
  • You Learn
  • Head Over Feet
  • Ironic

#1 Emotions -- Mariah Carey (1991)
This is the first album that I remember listening to. Some of my earliest memories are of my mom picking me up from day care and speeding around Bay City in her Grand Dam blasting this album. 
Mariah Carey's second album perfectly showcased her full range from head voice, to belts, to whistles. The album featured more uptempo songs, with some meaningful slow jams. I cannot say anything bad about this album. This is why Mariah Carey is my absolute favorite singer.

Highlights:
  • Emotions
  • And You Don't Remember
  • Can't Let Go
  • Make It Happen
  • If It's Over
  • You're So Cold
  • So Blessed

Comments

Popular Posts